Tea is extremely versatile and can be consumed either hot or cold for any ocassion. Tea leaves contain the stimulant “theanine”, an antioxidant that has similar effects as caffeine. However, tea contains less caffeine when compared to coffee: about half of the amount of caffeine. Tea is also a natural antioxidant, and contains a variety of vitamins including B2, B1 and B6. It is also rich in potassium, manganese, folic acid and calcium.
if you really are having a stressful day, then put down the doughnut and cheez whiz because herbal teas might be the solution for you. Herbal teas not only uplift your mood and relax your mind, but these low-calorie drinks also have other benefits that can help regulate your body. Each herbal tea can alleviate a variety of symptoms including anxiety, insomnia, high blood pressure, digestive functioning, etc.
Here are a list of some herbal teas and their added benefits (Some of these I haven’t even heard of before but I would like to try them!):
1. Nettle- added remedy for anemia, high blood pressure, rheumatism, arthritis, coughs and colds, congestion, urinary tract infections, and kidney bladder problems
2. Chamomile tea- soothes stomach and problems with indigestion, insomnia, and anxiety. This tea is used widely to help relax the body and mind naturally (Note: Do not use this tea if you’re allergic to chamomile)
3. Ginger tea- has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in energizing and soothing the digestive system. Also helps alleviate nausea.
4. Peppermint Tea- alleviates motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, and other digestive problems. Peppermint tea also helps reduce muscle aches and pains, clears congestion and mild coughing, and reduces stress. The peppermint flavor adds a soothing quality to the tea to help one achieve inner peace.
5. Lavender Tea- elevates mood levels, soothes the body and mind, helps one fall asleep naturally. Can help alleviate upper respiratory issues including mild coughing, bronchitis and mild asthma. Also helps redue a fever for adults and children and can help heal wounds, cuts and bruises.
6. Lemon Balm Tea- calms nerves, elevates mood and reduces anxieties. Lemon balm tea can also improve an individuals’s memory and brain functions.
7. Rosemary Tea- relaxes muscles and helps reduce tension. rosemary tea also regulates digestive processing (specifically for the liver and gall bladder) and helps reduce asthma symptoms and mild coughing
8. Hibiscus Flower Tea- strengthens the immune system (due to rich amounts of Vitamin C and antioxidants), lowers blood pressure, reduces high cholesterol, and reduces hypertension (Found in red zinger tea and sorrel tea)
9. Green Tea- lowers cancer risk, prohibits viral growth in the body, and can help reduce tumor growth.green tea can also help fight againt tooth decay and cavities. It contains polyphenols, which is an antioxidant that reduces free radicals. Green tea also aids the cardiovascular system by reducing triglyceride levels, by lowering blood pressure, and by lowering cholesterol. Green tea is a very popular drink and is known as the “wonder herb”
10. Cardamom Tea- treat indigestion, prevents stomach pain and nausea, menstrual cramps, and relieves flatulence. Cardamom tea also remove and detoxify your body from high caffeine levels after you have consumed many cups of coffee. This plant is found only in Guatemala and India.
11. Milk Thistle- cleanses the liver and promotes the production of bile
12. Rosehip Tea- strengthens the immune system (due to rich amounts of Vitamin C), heals skin and tissue and helps adrenal functioning
13. Lemongrass- aids in digestion
14. Echinacea- strengthens the immune system when you have a cold, relieves pain, reduces inflammation and produces antioxidant effects.
15. Blackberry leaves- found in most berry-flavored teas, contain a healthy dose of flavonoids, which are known for their antioxidant activity.
16. Hawthorn- found in most berry and peach teas, relaxes and dilate blood vessels and relieves water retention
(RBG Fit Club)
Tea has become one of my best friends when it comes to relaxing after or during a very stressful day. After drinking Yogi’s Kava Tea (a stress reliever tea) or other uncommon brands my mind has cleared and I am able to focus clearly on my daily tasks. So, If you can treat yourself to about 15 minutes of “me time,” enjoy it with some relaxing and thirst quenching tea.